Nuevo

Séneca

Séneca


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Lucius Annaeus Séneca (Séneca el Joven, l. 4 a. C. - 65 d. C.) fue un autor, dramaturgo, orador romano y, lo que es más importante, tutor y consejero del emperador romano Nerón (r. Influenciado por la filosofía estoica, escribió varios tratados filosóficos y 124 cartas sobre cuestiones morales, el Epistulae Morales (Epístolas morales). Como tutor de Nero, trató de transmitir su filosofía de una vida virtuosa y, con la ayuda del prefecto de la Guardia Pretoriana, Burrus, trató de mantener bajo control las indulgencias de Nero. A pesar de sus mejores esfuerzos y acusado falsamente de ser parte de un complot para asesinar al emperador, el cada vez más paranoico Nerón le ordenó suicidarse.

Vida temprana y exilio

Nacido en Córdoba, Hispania (España) en el 4 a. C., Séneca provenía de una familia adinerada de origen italiano, lo que automáticamente lo convirtió en ciudadano romano. Tenía dos hermanos, una madre, Helvia, y un padre famoso, Séneca el Viejo, autor y maestro de retórica. Séneca pasó sus años de formación estudiando gramática y retórica en Roma, y ​​mientras estuvo allí, desarrolló un interés de por vida en la filosofía, asistiendo a conferencias sobre estoicismo, una filosofía griega acorde con su carácter y evidente a lo largo de sus tratados. Según uno de sus defensores, Epicteto, uno debe vivir una vida de tranquilidad, serenidad y compostura, y la paz mental se puede lograr mediante el autocontrol.

Con Burrus como su aliado, se convirtieron en los consejeros del joven emperador, intentando controlar sus indulgencias y enseñarle a gobernar sabiamente.

Siempre con mala salud, Séneca viajó a Egipto para vivir con su tía, regresando a Roma en el año 31 EC. Fue después de su regreso a la ciudad que se ganó la reputación de orador y finalmente se convirtió en cuestor. Desafortunadamente, se enfrentó a los emperadores Calígula (r. 37-41 d.C.) y Claudio (r. 41-54 d.C.). Supuestamente estuvo implicado en una aventura adúltera con Julia Luvilla, la hermana menor de Calígula, y fue desterrado a Córcega en 41 EC. Sin embargo, mientras estuvo en el exilio no se quedó de brazos cruzados, continuó sus estudios de filosofía y escribió una serie de tratados.

En el 49 d.C., fue llamado a Roma por influencia de Agripina la Joven, hermana de Calígula y madre del futuro emperador romano Nerón. En su libro The Anales de la Roma Imperial, Tácito escribió sobre su regreso:

De modo que ahora consiguió la retirada del exilio de Lucio Annaeus Séneca y su nombramiento como pretor. Ella juzgó que debido a su eminencia literaria esto sería popular. Ella también tenía planes para él como un tutor distinguido para su joven hijo Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus (Nero). El consejo de Séneca podría servir a sus planes de supremacía…. (255)

Tácito agregó que ella creía que él sería devoto de ella, debido a su retiro, y hostil a su esposo, Claudio, que lo había exiliado. Seguro en su posición como tutor y consejero del futuro emperador, Séneca se casó con Pompeia Paulina. También fue en este momento que se hizo amigo cercano del prefecto de la Guardia Pretoriana, Sextus Afranius Burrus. Era una amistad que eventualmente los beneficiaría a ambos. Tácito los llamó "socios en el poder".

Tutor y asesor de Nero

Cuando el joven Nerón cumplió doce años, Séneca asumió sus deberes como tutor de Nerón, y con Burrus como su aliado, se convirtieron en los consejeros del joven emperador, intentando controlar sus indulgencias y enseñarle a gobernar sabiamente. Ambos fueron extremadamente influyentes en el joven aspirante a emperador, pero con métodos totalmente diferentes. Tácito escribió que la fuerza de Burrus radicaba en su "seriedad de carácter" y eficiencia, mientras que Séneca era un hombre de altos principios.

¿Historia de amor?

Regístrese para recibir nuestro boletín semanal gratuito por correo electrónico.

Colaboraron en el control de la peligrosa adolescencia del emperador; su política consistía en dirigir sus desviaciones de la virtud hacia canales autorizados de indulgencia. La violencia de Agrippina, inflamada por todas las pasiones de una tiranía mal habida, encontró su oposición unida. (285)

Además de escribir los discursos de Nerón, Séneca enseñaba filosofía y literatura a su joven protegido con la esperanza de que estos temas lo guiaran en la práctica del buen gobierno. El afamado orador despertaría también en él el amor tanto por la música como por el teatro; algo que sus compañeros lamentarían algún día. Una nota curiosa sobre la definición de buen gobierno de Séneca: el emperador tendría que tolerar la animosidad de quienes lo rodean. Hay que saber la diferencia entre un buen emperador y un tirano.

La historia ha demostrado que Nero no escuchó los consejos de su maestro. Finalmente, tras la muerte del emperador Claudio en 54 EC, Nerón tomó el trono a la tierna edad de 17 años. Lamentablemente, al menos para el emperador, su poder no sería solo suyo, ya que su madre creía que su influencia continuaría. Pronto aprendería que no iba a ser así. Su muerte cambiaría todo no solo para Nero sino también para Séneca y Burrus. Nerón ahora era libre de ser quien quisiera y de satisfacer sus deseos internos.
Después de la muerte de su madre, Nerón envió una carta al Senado romano condenándola, acusando a Agrippina, entre otras cosas, de conspirar para matarlo. Según la carta, su muerte fue "providencial".

El Senado, por supuesto, no aceptó las acusaciones del emperador y, según Tácito, la "condena no recayó sobre Nerón, cuya monstruosa conducta merecía críticas, sino sobre Séneca, que había compuesto su discurso autoinculpatorio" (318). Lamentablemente, el incidente empañó la reputación del orador y las cosas solo empeorarían. En el 62 d.C. Burrus murió, supuestamente, según el historiador romano Suetonio, por veneno, dejando a Séneca cuestionando su propio destino. Pronto se dio cuenta de que su influencia sobre Nerón estaba menguando. Poco a poco se fue retirando de la vida pública, dedicándose a escribir tratados de filosofía estoica. Implicado en la conspiración de Pisón para asesinar al emperador, a Séneca se le ordenó suicidarse. En su Los Doce Césares, Suetonio escribió:

Cuando su maestro Séneca pidió repetidamente que se marchara para retirarse y había entregado todas sus propiedades, Nerón juró que no tenía motivos para sospechar del anciano, a quien preferiría morir antes que dañar; pero lo llevó a suicidarse de todos modos. (229)

Muerte

Debido a sus fuertes creencias estoicas, Séneca murió con dignidad en el 65 d.C. Séneca había aprendido de las enseñanzas del filósofo griego Epicuro que no se debe temer a la muerte. Al llegar el día, habló con sus amigos y abrazó a su esposa. Ella había planeado morir con él, pero Nero dio órdenes para detenerla. Su muerte no vendría fácilmente. Se cortó las arterias de los brazos pero, debido a su frugal dieta y frágil cuerpo, no murió. Bebió veneno, al igual que el famoso filósofo griego Sócrates, y luego lo colocaron en un baño caliente donde fue sofocado por el vapor.

Su cuerpo fue enterrado sin ritos funerarios. Según Tácito:

… El cuerpo envejecido de Séneca, delgado por la vida austera, soltó la sangre con demasiada lentitud. Así que también se cortó las venas de los tobillos y detrás de las rodillas. Agotado por un dolor severo, temía debilitar la resistencia de su esposa traicionando su agonía, o perder el dominio de sí mismo ... (376)

Obras y Filosofía

Aunque algunos se han perdido, sus escritos han perdurado a través de los siglos e influenciado a innumerables filósofos y autores de prosa y poesía. La mayoría olvida que fue dramaturgo y filósofo. Sus nueve obras, a menudo denominadas tragedias "de armario", trataban de héroes de la mitología griega como Heracles (Hércules en la mitología romana), Edipo y Medea.

La mayoría de sus tratados fueron escritos como diálogos éticos a menudo para su buen amigo Lucilius. Sus obras más importantes incluyen:

  • Epistulae Morales (Epístolas Morales): la más larga de sus obras en prosa escrita alrededor del año 65 d.C., que incluye 124 sermones breves en 20 libros, que cubren una variedad de temas, desde el vegetarianismo hasta el trato humano de los esclavos.
  • De Vita Beata - sobre cómo vivir una vida feliz.
  • De Beneficiis - un tratado sobre el código social romano
  • De Tranquillitate Animi - en la tranquilidad de la mente
  • De Brevitate Vitae - sobre la brevedad de la vida
  • De Consolatione ad Polybium - escrito al liberto de Claudio con la esperanza de usar su influencia para ser llamado del exilio
  • De Consolatione ad Helviam - escrito a su madre Helvia durante su tiempo en el exilio
  • De Clementia - por piedad, escrito a Nerón aconsejándole que practique la virtud
  • De Ira - en ira
  • De Consolatione ad Marciam - Enseñanzas estoicas a una mujer sobre la muerte de su hijo.
  • De Providentia - en la providencia
  • De Constantia Sapientis - ensayo abrazando la fuerza interior de un sabio
  • De Otio - en el ocio

La muerte fue un tema destacado en muchos de sus escritos y, a lo largo de sus cartas, promovió sus creencias estoicas. Para Séneca la muerte fue liberadora, parte del ciclo natural de la vida: “Es una locura morir por miedo a la muerte”. (Romm, 77) En su Epístolas morales, le escribió a Lucilius:

Aquellos que han aprendido a morir, no han aprendido a ser esclavos. Es un poder por encima y más allá de todos los demás poderes ... Sólo hay una cadena que nos mantiene en cautiverio, el amor a la vida. (2-3)

Séneca padeció una afección respiratoria durante toda su vida e incluso pensó en suicidarse. Para él, si una persona creía que había pocas esperanzas, el suicidio era una posible respuesta. "... si el cuerpo de uno se vuelve inútil para realizar sus funciones, ¿no es apropiado sacar de él la mente que lucha?" (72) Sin embargo, no terminaría con su propia vida debido a una enfermedad si hubiera una cura, pero lo consideraría si perdiera la cabeza y solo tuviera aliento. Añadió: "¿Crees que hay algo más cruel que perder de la vida que el derecho a ponerle fin?" (73)

En una carta dirigida a Marcia (De Consolatione ad Marciam), el escribio:

La muerte es la ruina de todos nuestros dolores, un fin más allá del cual nuestros males no pueden ir; nos devuelve a esa paz en la que descansamos antes de nacer. (13)

Si una persona se compadece de los muertos, esa persona también debe compadecerse del no nacido. Hay que saber morir bien. Nadie va alegre excepto aquellos que se han preparado. Le escribió a Lucillius hablando de su propia preparación:

En cuanto a mí, no rechazaría la adición de más años. Pero diré que no me faltó nada que hiciera feliz esa vida… Considero cada día como si fuera el último. (49)

Séneca vivió y murió adhiriéndose a sus fuertes principios estoicos. Muriendo con dignidad, no temía a la muerte. Formaba parte del ciclo natural de la vida.

Legado

Los tratados de Séneca abrazan sus puntos de vista sobre cómo debe ser una persona, viviendo una vida de tranquilidad, serenidad y compostura. Como tutor y consejero del joven emperador Nerón, trató de transmitir su filosofía de una vida virtuosa; Sea un buen líder, no un tirano. Desafortunadamente, su enseñanza cayó en saco roto. Después de la muerte de Agripina, Nerón fue libre de hacer lo que quisiera y se convirtió en el déspota que Séneca esperaba evitar. Aunque no formaba parte de la conspiración de Pisón para asesinar a Nerón, los días de Séneca estaban contados. El emperador paranoico que vio conspiraciones por todas partes estaba limpiando la casa, y su antiguo tutor se convirtió en una víctima. Afortunadamente, las cartas de Séneca han perdurado. Han influido en innumerables generaciones de escritores.


Séneca - Historia

Seneca tiene una historia orgullosa desde que fue fundada a mediados de la década de 1850. En ese momento, cuatro caballeros formaron una empresa municipal. Uno de estos hombres, Finley Lappin, ha recibido el reclamo de ser el responsable del nombramiento de nuestro pueblo. Finley, antes de emigrar al condado de Nemaha, era residente de un condado del centro norte de Ohio. El condado limítrofe en Ohio era el condado de Seneca. Por tanto, esta explicación de cómo nuestro pueblo ganó su nombre parece plausible. Por lo menos, es una gran historia.

A principios de 1870 debieron haber tenido lugar discusiones sobre la incorporación de Séneca. Con la incorporación Séneca habría podido gobernarse a sí mismo. Con esta idea en la mente de muchos vecinos de apoyo, se produjo la incorporación y el resto es historia. Esto prepara el escenario para nuestra celebración número ciento veinticinco.

21 de mayo de 1870 - De conformidad con la orden de incorporación, los cinco fideicomisarios eligieron a C. G. Scrafford, presidente J. W. Williams, secretario J. C. Hubbard, tesorero y R. P. Furrow, alguacil con Abijah Wells como secretario interino.

3 de junio de 1870 - Con todos los fideicomisarios presentes, el comité de estatutos y ordenanzas informó y se aprobó lo siguiente:

  • Hacer que sea un delito menor vender licor sin una licencia, multa de $ 25 a $ 100.
  • Reuniones periódicas a las 7 p.m. del primer viernes de cada mes, o convocado por presidente o mayoría.
  • Paz perturbadora, $ 5 a $ 50 y hasta 60 días a discreción del Juez de Paz
  • Tarifa de licencia de licor establecida para cualquier taberna, tienda de bebidas alcohólicas o supermercado de $ 250 a $ 500 cada año y una petición firmada favorablemente por la mayoría de los votantes en el distrito donde se encuentra dicho establecimiento. Los infractores multados de $ 25 a $ 100 y hasta 60 días.
  • Por portar armas ocultas se le impondrá una multa de $ 1 a $ 100 y hasta 60 días en la cárcel de la ciudad.
  • Molestias, multa de $ 1 a $ 100 por día, colocación de despojos u otro material ofensivo, incluidos cadáveres en aliados o en la calle, multa de $ 5 a $ 25, y alguacil para notificar al inquilino o propietario sobre molestias privadas o estables y, si no se soluciona, podría recibir una multa de $ 10 a $ 100.
  • Estableciendo el grado de Main Street. (vea la página 14)
  • Otorgar publicaciones de la ciudad a Nemaha Courier e Independent Press, cada una para recibir la mitad de la tarifa legal de Kansas.
  • Proporcionar a los oficiales de la ciudad y prescribir deberes del secretario, tesorero, alguacil y comisionado de la calle: el alguacil los mismos honorarios que el alguacil del municipio permitido, el comisionado de la calle $ 2 por día por el tiempo realmente trabajado, el tesorero y el secretario para otorgar una fianza en cantidades aprobadas y que no excedan $ 25 al año.

3 de junio de 1870: el agente de policía recibe el trabajo de realizar un censo en la ciudad de Séneca.

11 de junio de 1870 - Una petición presentada por Ingram & amp Lake y Assenmacher & amp Munch para una licencia para vender licores que se ordenó otorgar mediante el pago de $ 300 por cada licencia.

16 de junio de 1870: se presentó y aprobó una fianza de Ingram & amp Lake. La fianza de J. C. Hebbard presentada y aprobada.

17 de junio de 1870 - Joseph Sharp fue contratado y nombrado abogado de la ciudad.

Volviendo en la historia a 1866, el condado de Nemaha había votado 322 a 247 para emitir bonos ferroviarios por valor de $ 125,000. Cuando la compañía ferroviaria pidió el dinero en 1870, John E. Smith encabezó una delegación para protestar por la emisión de los bonos porque el nombre del ferrocarril se había cambiado a St. Joseph & amp Grand Island, y no era el mismo que el del ferrocarril. empresa original contratada. Smith y sus seguidores ganaron su demanda en la Corte Suprema de Kansas y los bonos no se emitieron. Sin embargo, el ferrocarril se estaba construyendo a través de Séneca en junio de 1870. Han surgido dos pisos, uno de los cuales es que la ciudad le había otorgado al ferrocarril 100 pies de derecho de paso a través de la ciudad y 10 acres de tierra en el sitio del depósito. La otra historia indicaba que los ciudadanos privados se ocupaban del ferrocarril. Este trato, un acuerdo garantizado por el mismo derecho de paso y terreno de depósito, fue realizado por C. G. Scrafford, J. P. Taylor y otros 53 antes de la incorporación de Seneca. En cualquier caso, llegó el ferrocarril y con él la capacidad de comunicarse por telégrafo.

29 de junio de 1870: se aprobó una décima ordenanza que otorgaba a St. Joseph y Denver City Railroad su derecho de paso a través de Seneca y requería que la compañía ferroviaria construyera un puente en el lado este de la ciudad.

1 de julio de 1870: se emitieron las primeras órdenes municipales para pagar la inspección, un censo de la ciudad, las ordenanzas de impresión y el establecimiento de la calificación en Main Street. Se aprobó la Ordenanza No. 11 que establece una multa de $ 50 a $ 500 para los no residentes que ofrezcan espectáculos, circos o exhibiciones sin licencia de la ciudad. La Ordenanza No. 12 era la ordenanza de conducción rápida o descuidada. El costo del procesamiento y una multa de $ 5 se estableció para cualquier persona que montara a caballo, mula u otro animal en la ciudad con un paso excesivo, furioso o peligroso en cualquier calle o vía dentro de los límites corporativos. Joseph Sharp recibiría la mitad de las multas impuestas a los quebrantadores de la paz.

Las primeras facturas que nombraron a la persona, el trabajo realizado y la tarifa fueron para OC Bruner, topografía del sitio de la ciudad, $ 44 WR Wells, asistente, $ 12 RP Surco, asistente, $ 6 H. Linderman, asistente, $ 8 J. Morrill, asistente, $ 4 JT Bronaugh, ayudando, $ 3 J. Gray, ayudando, $ 3 E. Ingram, ayudando, $ 4 RP Surco, haciendo el censo, $ 6 Paul Courier, imprenta, $ 10,50 y W. Smith, estableciendo el grado, $ 25.

8 y 12 de julio de 1870 - Se presentaron ofertas para la construcción de una escala de la ciudad en el callejón de la cuadra 71 (lado norte de la calle principal entre las actuales calles 4 y 5) y la construcción de una cárcel de la ciudad. B. Honneman iba a construir los cimientos de las escalas de la ciudad por $ 29. J. A. Boyer iba a recibir $ 5 por hacer planos de la cárcel de la ciudad. C. W. Williams ofreció la oferta más baja de $ 275 para construir una cárcel. La Ordenanza No. 13 estableció una multa de $ 5 a $ 100 y de 10 a 30 días de cárcel para cualquier persona que vendiera, intercambiara o regalara licor intoxicante a cualquier persona que tuviera el hábito de intoxicarse, después de que un familiar o familiar le advirtiera que no lo hiciera. funcionario civil. Se establecieron sanciones por intoxicación. Todos los lugares, incluidas las tabernas, las casas de comidas, los restaurantes, las tiendas de comestibles, las cafeterías, los sótanos y las salas de billar, en violación de la venta de licor serían cerrados y declarados una molestia pública. También se prohibieron todos los dispositivos de juego. La Ordenanza 14 estaba dirigida a los subastadores y vendedores ambulantes no residentes. Los derechos de licencia se establecieron en $ 2,50 por día y $ 5,00 por más de un día y menos de una semana. Las multas para los infractores se fijaron entre $ 10 y $ 100 más los costos.

18 de julio de 1870: Lewis Hill y Jacob McLane fueron nombrados agentes de la ciudad.

5 de agosto de 1870 - Se acepta la base de la escala. J. E. Taylor fue contratado para procesar a John Bachel___on. Las facturas pagadas fueron a S. E. Clark, flete, $ 14,40 Paul Courier, imprenta, $ 12 Barney Honneman, reparación de la cárcel, $ 5 Barney Honneman, cimientos del edificio, $ 31,50 y R. P. Surro, internado, $ 18,75.

11 de agosto de 1870 - Las facturas pagadas fueron a James Bronaugh, madera, $ 21.68 Samuel Funk, puerta de la cárcel, $ 5 J. W. Williams, edificio de la cárcel, $ 275 y H. H. Lanham, honorarios de justicia, $ 24.

25 de noviembre de 1870 - R. P. Surco fue nombrado comisionado de la calle. El pago de las facturas incluyó AM Sisson, depósito de tierra alrededor de la balanza, $ 10 AC Meacham, madera para balanzas, $ 11.81 JP Cone, avisos impresos, $ 7.50 Paul Courier, ordenanzas de impresión, $ 7 JW ​​Williams, registro de ordenanzas a la ciudad, $ 20 y AH Burnett & amp Co., madera para escalas, $ 1,50.

28 de noviembre de 1870 - R. A E. Nelson se le pagaría con el pagaré de la escala de la ciudad. Esta nota estaba en poder de Forsyit, Haston & amp Company.

30 de noviembre de 1870 - Se revocó el empleo del abogado de la ciudad Joseph Sharp.

Cambiemos nuestro punto de vista a los negocios de la gente del pueblo. En agosto de 1870, el último de los lotes de la ciudad propiedad del condado se vendió con compensación al fondo de la corte por la suma de $ 17.473,83. En el lado norte de Main Street, el edificio marco del negocio “Root & amp Fuller” se encontraba junto a la imprenta del periódico establecido en 1863 por J. P. Cone (ver página 4). M. L. Root de Centralia prestó $ 400 a su hijo y John Fuller Sr. para comenzar su negocio en 1870. También en el lado norte de Main Street se suponía que había un edificio de ladrillo establecido por Samuel Lappin y Charles G. Scrafford.

En 1870, el municipio de Richmond, incluida la ciudad de Séneca, había crecido a más de dos mil (2000) residentes. Esto supuso un aumento de la población de más del 200% en una década. Esto parecía tremendo hasta que uno recuerda que más de 650 hombres más numerosas amas de casa y niños probablemente no estaban haciendo de esta área su residencia permanente. Estos 650 hombres estaban trabajando en la construcción de un ferrocarril a través del condado. Sucedió que estaban en el municipio de Richmond y en Séneca cuando se realizó el censo de Estados Unidos de 1870. No se determinó un recuento exacto del número de personas que realmente residen en Séneca, pero la población de Séneca probablemente estaba entre 800 y 1000 habitantes.

¿Cuál fue el maquillaje de la ciudad de Séneca? Los habitantes llegaron a esta ciudad desde muchos lugares de origen, incluidos muchos países extranjeros. Los habitantes del área de Seneca enumeraron sus lugares de nacimiento en Estados Unidos como Connecticut, Nueva York, Indiana, Missouri, Illinois, Virginia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maine, Massachusetts, Kentucky, New Hampshire, Iowa, Vermont, Minnesota, Tennessee, Maryland, Delaware, Nebraska y Kansas. Los muchos países extranjeros incluyeron Irlanda, Austria, Canadá, Inglaterra, Suiza, Francia, Holanda, Gales, Suecia, Noruega, Luxemburgo y Alemania. En realidad, no se encontró Alemania en los registros, pero Prusia, Baviera, Bohemia, Wurtenburg, Sajonia y Hannover se anotaron en el libro de registro del censo. No hace falta decir que Séneca en 1870 tenía una mezcla variada de antecedentes de sus habitantes.

¿Qué trajo a esta gente a Séneca? ¿Fue dinero? Seguramente, algunas personas habrían sido consideradas ricas según los estándares de 1870 y, sin duda, algunas personas pobres. Los diez jefes de familia con la riqueza combinada más alta de bienes raíces y propiedad personal fueron: CG Scrafford, un agricultor, $ 75.500 Samuel Lappin, un agricultor, $ 57.000 Richard Bloss, un agricultor, $ 20.000 Rueben Cone, un comerciante jubilado, $ 17.000 John H. Peckham, un comerciante, $ 17,000 Abraham Kygen, alguacil del condado de Nemaha, $ 15,350 Margaret Henderson, mantenimiento de la casa, $ 15,150 Wm. G. Sargent, un abogado, $ 15,000 Finley Lappin, un granjero, $ 13,000 y J. C. Hebbard, tesorero del condado, $ 12,000. Tres de ellos, los Lappin y Scrafford, fueron tres de los cuatro padres fundadores de Séneca.

Con el aumento de la población, es fácil suponer que estaban naciendo bebés. Sin embargo, no todas las personas eran adultos jóvenes. El mayor era William Smith, de 75 años, de Hannover, Alemania, que todavía trabajaba en la fábrica de ladrillos. Otros con experiencias acumuladas fueron Margaret Hawley, 74 David Allison, 73 Julia Cohen, 70 Chloe Ramey, 70 Maria Perese, 70 Mary Leatherbury, 68 Finley Lappin, 67 y Nancy Scrafford, 67.

El dato más interesante recopilado del censo sería diferente para cada persona. Sin embargo, desde este punto de vista, la hija de un año de Thomas e Isabella Bennett fue la elegida en 1870. Los Bennett emigraron de Canadá. Por alguna razón desconocida, llamaron a su hija Séneca. Ahora me viene a la mente una pregunta, ¿qué pasó con Seneca Bennett?

Las personas que se sabe que llegaron a Séneca en 1870 fueron A. L. L. Scoville, quien aceptó un puesto en J. H. Peckham y C. C. K. Scoville, uno de los alcaldes de Seneca.

¿Qué podrían haber estado haciendo estas personas? Los niños en edad escolar podrían haber estado en uno de los tres departamentos de grado. En septiembre de 1870, la escuela pública tenía un departamento de escuela primaria, intermedia y secundaria. Este mismo mes, la Sociedad Agrícola del Condado de Nemaha tuvo su tercera exhibición anual, aparentemente un evento similar a una feria del condado, en Séneca.

Dirijamos nuestra atención a las iglesias y denominaciones que practican su fe en Séneca. Había universalistas, metodistas, bautistas, congregacionalistas, católicos y probablemente algunos otros. Muchas de las denominaciones protestantes usaban la Iglesia de Piedra con fines religiosos. La Iglesia de Piedra hizo que se construyera su edificio en 1867. Por acuerdo, la denominación que contribuyó más generosamente fue la de convertirse en propietaria del edificio. Aparentemente, el Universalista debe haber respaldado a la iglesia con el mayor apoyo financiero. Este edificio de piedra que aún existe se dedicó formalmente como Iglesia Universalista con el Rev. B. F. Rodgers oficiando en agosto de 1870.

Parte de la razón por la que este edificio se convirtió en la Iglesia Universalista fue probablemente porque los miembros de la iglesia congregacionalista decidieron construir una casa de culto el 20 de junio de 1870. Nombraron un comité de construcción de Reuben Cone, CT Whittenhall, HP Dryden, JL Fuller y OC Dickinson. Para el día de Navidad, se había realizado la dedicación de un edificio de armazón de $ 4000 que mide 32 pies por 50 pies en Séneca.

El año comenzó en enero de 1870 con el padre Pirmine Koumly, O.S.B. llevando a cabo un servicio católico mensual el segundo domingo de cada mes. . Él era un nativo de Francia de 27 años. En mayo se notó la necesidad de una casa parroquial. Para junio, se había planeado y construido una casa parroquial de un piso que medía 16 por 26 pies. En julio, el padre Pirmine se mudó y se convirtió en el primer pastor residente de los Sts. Parroquia de San Pedro y San Pablo. En septiembre de 1870, los católicos, con la ayuda de algunos protestantes de la ciudad, habían comprado la vieja escuela pública. Así, se formó la Escuela Parroquial San Pedro y San Pablo con el primer maestro Daniel Huhn. El Sr. Huhn era de Prusia. La escuela tuvo una asistencia promedio de veinticinco estudiantes en su primer trimestre.

El padre Pirmine se mantuvo ocupado en 1870 realizando matrimonios y bautismos. Se registraron tres matrimonios en el registro parroquial. Se trataba de Francis Blocker y Mary Rohenkohl, John Eckel y Josephine Henschel, y Bernard Lindemann y Agnes Lensing. En 1938 se informó que se habían realizado treinta y cinco bautismos en 1870. Dado que los registros de la parroquia St. Mary de St. Benedict, Kansas, también se estaban registrando en Séneca durante este período de tiempo, era necesario filtrar los bautismos. Lo que sigue es una suposición fundamentada de qué bautismos se llevaron a cabo en la parroquia St. Peter and Paul. Los bautismos fueron:


Con una historia rica y orgullosa, los Séneca eran la más grande de las seis naciones nativas americanas que comprendían la Confederación Iroquesa o Seis Naciones, un gobierno democrático anterior a la Constitución de los Estados Unidos.

La Nación de Indios Séneca tiene actualmente una población total inscrita de casi 8.000 ciudadanos. Los territorios son generalmente rurales, con varias áreas residenciales. Muchos ciudadanos de Seneca viven fuera del territorio, algunos se encuentran en todo el país, así como en otros países. Los residentes fuera del territorio comprenden casi la mitad de la ciudadanía.

Los Séneca también son conocidos como el "Guardián de la Puerta Occidental", porque los Séneca son los más occidentales de las Seis Naciones. En el momento de la formación de la Liga Iroquois, las cinco naciones originales de la Liga Iroquois ocupaban grandes áreas de tierra en el noreste de Estados Unidos y el sureste de Canadá.

En el idioma Séneca se nos conoce como O-non-dowa-gah, (pronunciado: Oh-n'own-dough-wahgah) o "Gran Pueblo de las Colinas".

La histórica Seneca ocupó territorio en toda el área de Finger Lakes en el centro de Nueva York, y en Genesee Valley en el oeste de Nueva York, viviendo en casas comunales a orillas del río. Las aldeas estaban bien fortificadas con vallas de estacas de madera, solo una de las muchas empresas laboriosas.

La gente dependía en gran medida de la agricultura para alimentarse, cultivando las Tres Hermanas: maíz, frijoles y calabaza, que se conocían como Deohako, (pronunciado: Jo-hay-ko) "los sustentadores de la vida". Además de cultivar, los primeros Seneca también eran cazadores y pescadores de subsistencia.

Los senecas también eran muy hábiles en la guerra y se los consideraba feroces adversarios. Pero los Séneca también eran famosos por sus sofisticadas habilidades en diplomacia y oratoria y su voluntad de unirse con las otras cinco naciones originales para formar la Confederación de Naciones Iroquois.

Hoy, la Nación Séneca apoya a su propia gente y beneficia a las comunidades circundantes con una variedad de esfuerzos culturales, educativos y económicos. Sus variadas empresas incluyen: juegos de casino de clase mundial, hospitalidad y entretenimiento, que emplean a más de 3,500 personas, así como una cadena de tiendas de conveniencia (4 tiendas), administración de construcción y diversas participaciones en empresas comerciales.

La cultura y los valores de Séneca permanecen fuertes e intactos. El idioma, la canción, el arte, la danza y los deportes son aspectos vitales de la cultura Séneca. Aunque el número de hablantes fluidos del idioma séneca está disminuyendo y el idioma se considera en riesgo, existen programas de idiomas en Seneca Nation para ayudar a proteger, preservar y desarrollar una nueva generación de hablantes del idioma séneca para mantener vivo el idioma séneca.

El lacrosse es un deporte que practican hombres y mujeres, jóvenes y mayores. Dos nuevos complejos deportivos comunitarios en cada territorio permiten ligas de lacrosse durante todo el año y espacio para programas comunitarios, manualidades y aprendizaje.

Una escuela de fieles apoya y asegura la práctica continua de las enseñanzas tradicionales, las artes, el conocimiento y la cultura viva de las costumbres de Longhouse.

La vitalidad de la rica herencia de Séneca es evidente en las ceremonias, prácticas y eventos culturales en curso que están impregnados de danza, música y canciones, artes, artesanías y comidas tradicionales que honran y celebran la cultura de Séneca.


La historia de los recursos de Séneca

Si necesita informar una emergencia, puede comunicarse con Seneca Resources las 24 horas del día, los 7 días de la semana al 1-800-526-2608 en Pensilvania y al 1-888-595-8595 en California.

Con más de 100 años como empresa de exploración y producción, Seneca Resources tiene una rica historia de exploración y producción de gas natural. Además, las raíces de Seneca y su empresa matriz, National Fuel Gas Company, se remontan a casi dos siglos hasta la formación misma de la industria del gas natural.

Al observar el escape de gas natural de Canadaway Creek en Fredonia, Nueva York, el armero William Hart perforó un agujero de 17 pies en la lutita poco profunda en 1821, y finalmente proporcionó servicio de gas a las tiendas y edificios locales para iluminación y cocina. Este es reconocido como el primer uso comercial de gas natural en los Estados Unidos.

Sin embargo, la industria del gas natural no se puso de moda hasta que los empresarios buscaron un nuevo producto que pudiera utilizarse para iluminación y otros fines. En Titusville, Pensilvania, el esfuerzo de perforación de Edwin L. Drake & rsquos produjo por primera vez el oro negro el 27 de agosto de 1859. La loca carrera por el petróleo resultó en el hallazgo de cantidades masivas de un combustible fósil hermano y gas natural, a menudo quemado como un "producto de desecho". el misterioso producto, John D. Rockefeller & rsquos Standard Oil dirigió su atención al gas natural y en la década de 1880, Standard y otros intereses crearon numerosas empresas locales de gas natural en la región.

National Fuel Gas Company se incorpora el 8 de diciembre y adquiere participaciones en Pennsylvania Gas Company, United Natural Gas Company y otros activos en West Virginia, Ohio y Nueva York.

Una de las muchas empresas de exploración de gas natural que operan en el oeste de Pensilvania eventualmente resultaría en la creación de Seneca. Mars Natural Gas Company fue organizada el 9 de junio de 1913 por varios partidos no afiliados del municipio de Mars, Pensilvania, y producía y vendía gas natural. Mars Natural Gas Company se incorporó más tarde a la familia de empresas de National Fuel Gas Company. Cambiando su nombre a The Mars Company en 1918, posteriormente compró y desarrolló numerosas pequeñas propiedades productoras de gas natural y petróleo y también operó plantas para la extracción de gasolina natural y gases licuados del petróleo. En la siguiente década, Mars se expandió adquiriendo propiedades y activos de varias empresas locales de gas natural en el oeste de Pensilvania.

Otra empresa de National Fuel que eventualmente contribuiría a la composición de Seneca Resources fue la Sylvania Corporation, formada en 1928. Sylvania se contrató como una no empresa que producía y vendía gas natural. Sylvania was involved in the discovery of many important natural gas pools in the Oriskany sandstone formation in north-central Pennsylvania during the 1930s&ndash1950s.

As the thirst for natural gas escalated, National Fuel&rsquos exploration efforts constantly sought to fulfill the demand with significant gas discoveries, such as Sylvania&rsquos wildcat well in Cameron County, Pa., striking the Driftwood-Benezette field in Oriskany sands. Despite many gas finds, Appalachian supplies could not meet the skyrocketing, post-war demand for natural gas, so attention turned to the Southwest and Gulf of Mexico region that would become the major producing area for U.S. supplies for the next half-century.

Hydraulic fracturing

Hydraulic fracturing of oil and gas wells to improve well production was first used in the 1940s and soon became a common practice. Fracturing or fracking forces water, sand grains and a small amount of chemicals into the well. Most oil and gas wells in the U.S. are fracked with a variety of techniques and materials depending on the geology to improve production of new and storage wells.

1974–1976

In 1974, National Fuel Gas Company realigned United Natural Gas Company, Pennsylvania Gas Company and Iroquois Gas Corporation into National Fuel Gas Distribution Corporation and the National Fuel Gas Supply Corporation&mdashthe pipeline, storage and transmission segment. In 1976, the company opened a Houston office to help coordinate Southwest gas purchases. This would pave the way for National Fuel to start a Southwest gas exploration program.

National Fuel changed the name of The Mars Company to Seneca Resources Corporation and gave it the mission of exploring for natural gas supplies outside of the traditional service area. The subsidiary&rsquos Houston Division explored for oil and gas in the Southwest and eventually conducted business in 12 U.S. states and Alberta, Canada. Seneca Resources acquired significant gas and oil reserves in Texas and along Gulf Coast shallow waters. The company expanded west in 1987, when it obtained substantial reserves of light crude oil and some natural gas from Argo Petroleum in Ventura County, Calif., establishing a divisional office in Santa Paula.

National Fuel formed a new subsidiary, Empire Exploration, Inc., to coordinate drilling in the Appalachian region. Because of the involvement in Appalachian drilling since nearly the inception of the industry, National Fuel controlled oil and gas rights on more than 775,000 undeveloped acres of oil and gas property, much of that acreage as the total landowner. After deregulation of natural gas production increased gas supply and reduced wellhead prices, drilling in the Appalachian basin became severely depressed. However, decades of ownership of oil and gas rights in this region would turn out to be a &ldquodiamond in the rough&rdquo a quarter century later when attention would return to Appalachia and the Marcellus Shale.

1990s

Despite low prices for natural gas and oil, soon the assets in Texas and the Gulf Coast waters would pay off and become National Fuel Gas Company&rsquos most significant opportunity for growth. Beginning in 1991, Seneca Resources changed its focus from building long-lived reserves through acquisitions to accelerating cash flow. New discoveries and record production was achieved, largely due to modern seismic data and analysis, including the use of 3-D seismic technology.

National Fuel&rsquos Appalachian drilling unit, Empire Exploration, merged into Seneca Resources and over the next decade, Seneca Resources would develop three main divisions: East, covering the Appalachian natural gas exploration and production Southwest, including gas and oil drilling efforts in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and the Gulf of Mexico and West, primarily oil production in California.

Seneca Resources expanded by acquiring all outstanding shares of Tri-Link Resources, Ltd., of Calgary, Alberta. National Fuel Exploration Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Seneca Resources, was formed to explore and develop oil and gas wells in Canada and acquired Player Petroleum Corporation of Alberta. Seneca Resources also reached a five-year agreement with Talisman Energy, Inc. of Calgary, the largest independent oil and gas producer in Canada, to explore for deep oil and gas in the Appalachian basin.

2006–2007

Scaling back exploration in the Gulf of Mexico, Seneca Resources sold interests in oil and gas production in western Canada, but accelerated onshore drilling efforts in Texas, increased oil production in California and stepped up exploration in the Appalachian region.

In 2006-07, Seneca Resources partnered with EOG Resources and drilled its first vertical and horizontal wells in the promising Marcellus Shale formations. The total Marcellus acreage position was expanded to more than 775,000 acres, which lead to an ambitious company-operated Marcellus and Utica Shale exploration program using modern hydraulic fracturing techniques, including environmentally friendly ground-breaking methods of recycling and other best practices to protect drilling lands and groundwater.

Highland Field Services, LLC (HFS), a subsidiary of Seneca Resources, was established to address the water management needs for Seneca and other oil and gas companies in the Appalachian basin. HFS operates two facilities in northwest Pennsylvania near the heart of the Western Development Area for Seneca.

National Fuel completes acquisition of Shell&rsquos integrated upstream and midstream assets in Pennsylvania, the largest acquisition in our company&rsquos 118-year history.


Seneca - History

History of Seneca, New York
FROM: HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY
NEW YORK
EDITD BY: GEORGE S. CONOVER
COMPILED BY LEWIS CASS ALDRIDGE
PUBLISHED BY D. MASON & CO., PUBLISHERS
SARACUSE, N. Y., 1893

CHAPTER XXIV.
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF SENECA.

IN 1789 the Legislature passed an act creating Ontario county, and authorized the Court of Sessions to divide its territory into districts. This was done, and although we have no record of the event, it is well kpown that the district of Seneca included a large area of territory much larger than did the original town of Seneca, organized in 1793. The town organized in 1793 included township No. 9 and the south half of township No. 10, and also so much of the " gore" as was east of the same and between the old and new pre-emption lines.

Within the bounds of the original town of Seneca there took place many of the most interesting events of early history in Western New York, for within these limits was the home village and favorite hunting and fishing grounds of one branch of the famed Senecas of the Iroquois. Old "Kanadesaga," their village, was within the town, and here dwelt their famous king. Also within the same limits was the historic burial mound of the Senecas, and around all these there still clings a wealth of memories dear to the student of archeology. Previous to their settlement at this place, the Senecas had been located at the White Springs and at Burrell or Slate Rock Creek, both of which are in the limits of the old town of Seneca. In June, 1750, when Bishop Cammerhoff and Rev. David Zeisberger, the Moravian missionaries, were on a journey to the western town of the Senecas, they passed through this region and along the site of the White Springs, where they were informed a former village of the Senecas had been, and which they called "Ganechstage," and on which there was at this time but few huts This settlement had been broken up in 1732 by a plague of the small pox, with which an Indian had become infected at Albany. Taking a wrong path, the missionaries went southwesterly, passing "through a beautiful, fruitful valley," and came to the site of" New Ganechstage." On their return they again came this way, and at "New Ganechsatage" they were hospitably entertained by "Gajinquechto" and his wife. This is but a dialectical variation of" Sayenqueraghta," and is the same person who in later years was the "smoke bearer" at Kanadesaga. The "sachern's" wife pointed out the way to them and they journeyed on, passing old "Ganechsatage," reaching a spring. The location of New Ganechstage was in the present town of Seneca, on the farm of J. Wilson and Newton A. Read, lot 32. Other village sites were on the Rippey farm, lot 36 farm of W. P. Rupert, lot 36 Haslett farm lot 37. It was from here that they were gathered and formed the "new settlement village," as has been stated in another chapter.

However, in 1872 Seneca was deprived of the greater and more interesting part of its history, for in the year named the town of Geneva was created and included within its boundaries nearly all the old interesting localities formerly of Seneca. The town so set off comprised all that part of the old town which was in the gore, and also the eastern tier of lots in townships 9 and ro. Therefore, the subject of Ihis chapter must be the town of Seneca as constituted after the separate organization of Geneva as an independent civil division of Ontario county and as all that remains to be told in this connection relates to its early settlement and organization, we may properly begin with the advent of the pioneers into the region, referring only incidentally to the settlements at Kanadesaga and Geneva. As the places last mentioned were for several years previous to the erection of this county the center of operations in the entire western country, settlement naturally began there, but after the survey of the Phelps and Gorham purchase, pioneers at once sought to purchase the towns, or portions of them, and settlement thus followed in due time.

Township number 10 of range i, of which a part is included within Seneca, was purchased by a party of twenty New Englanders, and under this proprietorship the settlement of the town was begun. One of the purchasers was Captain Joshua Whitney, who first examined and explored the lands of the purchase in 1789, and became a permanent settler therein in 1790. He was a man of influence, large means, and much experience had been a soldier during the Revolution, and had gained his title in that service. He had at first 1,052 acres in the town, which amount he doubled later on. We may also state that the Whitney family was represented by other early settlers in the town, all of whom constituted a fair contingent of the number entitled to be called pioneers.

Among the other early settlers and pioneers of Seneca, whose names as heads of families or single men seeking homes in the new country are equally worthy of mention, were Anson Dodge, Abraham Burkholder, Peter Van Gelder, Zora Densmore, John Berry, George Ackley or Eckley, Ammi Whitney, Robert Carson, Leonard Isenhour (built grist and saw mills as early as 1800), Peter Wyn coop, William Esty, Thomas Taliman and others, the date of whose settlement was prior to 1800, and that of many of them before 1795. There were also the families named Clemons, Parker, Harris, Fiero, Charlton, Childs, Torrence, Rogers, McPherson, Culver, Latta, Darrow, and the McCauleys, Hallidays, Duttons, Onderdonks, the Ringers (John and Jacob) and others now forgotten, whose names are equally worthy of mention as early settlers in this rich agricultural region.

In the same manner we may also recall the names of other pioneers, among whom were Thomas Ottley, Nathan Whitney, Eben Burt, Isaac Amsden, Peter Gray, Matthew Rippey, David McMaster, Abram Post, Israel Webster, Simeon Amsden, Joel Whitney, Hugh Fulton and Gameliel Brockway, all of whom with others named and yet to be named, were located in the town of Seneca as early as the year 1800. There were also William Rippey, Joseph Fulton, Edward Rice, Philip Gregory, John Dixon, Seba Squier, Jacob Reed, Thomas Densmore, Solomon Gates, Colonel Wilder, David Barron, all pioneers, nearly all of whom had families, and all of whom contributed to the prominent position Seneca early occupied among the towns of the county.

The Stanley family, of whom Seth Stanley was the pioneer head, settled in the town in 1796, and the locality afterwards became known as Stanley's Corners, while the still later station and railroad junction are known as "Stanley's." On the old Geneva and Rushville turnpike at an early day settled pioneers Peter Diedrich, George Simpson, Will jam Fiero and George Rippey and elsewhere in the town were Salma Stanley, Thomas McCauley, Matthew Rippey, Peter Blackmore, Mr. Harford, John McCullough, Captain Wm. McPherson, Whitney Squier, Jonathan Reed, the Phillips family, Squire Parks, James Rice, James Means, Leonard and William Smith, Chauncey Barden, Alfred Squier, Aaron Black, the Careys, John Wood, John Rippey, Robert Parks, Timothy Miner, James Black, Aden Squier, Edward Burrall, Samuel Wheadon and others, the dates and precise location of whose settlement cannot now be accurately determined.

In this connection also we may name among the early settlers John Hooper, Foster Sinclair, the Dorman family, Adam Turnbull, Richard Bell, Wm. Foster, William Brown, John Scoon, Aaron Black, Mr. Stockoe, Jonathan Phillips, George Conrad, Thomas Vartie, Edward Hall (the pioneer for whom Hall's Corners was named), Sherman Lee, Wm. Wilson, the Cooleys, the Robinsons and Robsons, James Beattie, George Crozier, the Straughtons and the Wilsons, Rufus Smith, Robert Moody, Valentine Perkins, David Miller, Mr. Clark, the prominent Barden family, Daniel Sutherland, Sylvester Smith, Levi Gland, John Thompson and others.

From the large number of names of early settlers above mentioned it will be seen that the settlement of this town must have been very rapid, and when we consider that none of those named were from the part of the town recently set off to Geneva, the conclusion must be natural and correct that Seneca was settled and improved as early as any district or town in the county. In i8oo the population of the whole county was only 15,218, yet the assertion is made that of the number the then town of Seneca had at least 2,000. In fact, until Geneva was set off, Seneca was by far the largest town in the county. In i8io the population was 3,431 in 1830 it was 6,161 in 1840 if was 7,073 in 1850 it was 8,505 in 1860 it was 8,448 in 1870 it was 9,188 and in 1880, by reason of the erection of Geneva, the local population was only 2,877 in 1890 it was 2,690.

In 1793 the population of the town was deemed sufficiently great to warrant its complete organization by the election of officers, consequently a town meeting was held at "the house of Joshua Fairbanks, Innkeeper," on the first Tuesday in April, 1793. At this time the first town officers were elected, as follows: Supervisor, Ezra Patterson town clerk, Thomas Sisson assessors, Oliver Whitmore, James Rice, Phineas Pierce commissioners of highways, Patrick Burnet, Samuel Wheadon, Peter Bartle, jr. collector, Sanford Williams overseers of the poor, Jonathan Oaks, David Smith constables, Charles Harris, Stephen Sisson, Whelds Whitmore overseers of highways, Nathan Whitney, Oliver Humphrey, Jerome Loomis, Jeremiah Butler, Benj. Tuttle, Wm. Smith, jr., David Benton, Benjamin Dixon fence viewers, Amos Jenks, John Reed, Joseph Kilbourn, Seba Squiers, Caleb Culver poundmasters, Peter Bartle, jr., David Smith sealer of weights and measures, Peter Bartle, sr. surveyor of lumber, Jeremiah Butler.

Among the first proceedings of the town authorities were those relating to the laying out of highways, among them, and one of the very first, being one of historical importance, inasmuch as it was evidently laid out on the old Indian trail which led southeast from the foot of Seneca street, and afterwards in a westerly direction until it reached the west line of the town. The western part of this was where the turnpike from the old pre emption road was laid out later on.

The officers elected in 1793 and mentioned above were chosen, the reader will of course understand, from the town of Seneca, as at that time constituted, therefore including all that is now the town of Geneva. The center of population at that time, and for many years afterward, was at Geneva, and here all trade and barter was carried on therefore it was usual that the town meetings should be held at the village, the first at Joshua Fairbanks' "Inn " the second at "the house of Elark Jennings, Inn Keeper," the third at the house of Ezra Patterson the fourth at Benjamin Tuttle's house the fifth at the house of Epenetus Hart, adjoining Powell's Hotel the sixth and seventh at Powell's Hotel, and so on to the end of the list. In this connection it is interesting to note the succession of supervisors of the old town of Seneca from its organization to the present time, which succession is as follows,

Ezra Patterson. 1793 Ambrose Hull, 1794-95 Timothy Allen, 1796 Ezra Patterson, 1797-98 Samuel Colt, 1799 Ezra Patterson, 1800-1801 Samuel Wheadon, jr., 1802 Ezra Patterson, 1803-04 Septimus Evans, 1805-14 John M. Cullough, 1815 Septimus Evans, 1816-17 Nathan Reed, 1818-28. The records of town officers between the years 1828 and 1838 cannot be found. Abraham A. Post, 1838-42 Philo Bronson, 1843 Abraham A. Post, 1844-47 John L. Dox, 1848-49 Chas. S. Brother, 1850-51 Lucius Warner, 1852-54 James M. Soverhill, 1855-56 John Whitwell, 1857-58 Perez H. Field, 1859-60 Joseph Hutchinson, 1861-62 George W. Nicholas, 1863-68 Samuel Southworth, 1869-70 John Post, 1871-72 Seth Stanley, 1873 Edward S. Dixon, 1874 Seth Stanley, 1875 Robert Moody, 1876-81 Levi A. Page, 1882-89 H. Joel Rice, 1890-93.

Present Town Officers- H. Joel Rice, supervisor Mathew D. Lawrence, town clerk Harmon W. Onderdonk, Orson S. Robinson, W. H. Whitney, assessors E. S. Dixon, Eben E. Thatcher, Wm. H. Barden, W. D. Robinson, justices of the peace Albert M. Knapp, John B. Esty, Hamilton Rippey, excise commissioners John H. Carr, Frank L. Parshail, C. E. Onderdonk, commissioners of highways overseer of the poor, James Woods.

Returing again briefly to the period of old times, we find the pioneers of Seneca engaged in the laudable enterprise of raising a fund for the purpose of building a bridge across Flint Creek at Castleton, to form a part of the main thoroughfare from the town to the county seat. The subscribers to this fund, with the amount of their respective subscriptions, in pounds, were as follows: Sanford Williams, 8 Oliver Whitmore, 3 Nathan Whitney, 6 Solomon Gates, 3 Hugh Maxwell, 2 Samuel Warner, 3 Warner Crittenden, 3 Ebenezer Bunt, 3 Solomon Warner, 3 Joel Whitney, 3 Oliver Whitmore, sen., i Luke Whitmore, 1 Elijah Wilder, 3

Villages and Hamlets.- In this department of this work it is not proposed to make any extended reference to the Indian occupation of any of the towns of the county, nevertheless, in this connection it is not inappropriate to allude to the old Seneca villages which formerly existed in this town, in the north part thereof, one of them on lot 56, and the other on lot 58 but where they were first located and inhabited by the Senecas, and the precise date of their disappearance we know not of.

The present villages and hamlets of Seneca are five in number, four of them being on the line of the commonly called Northern Central railroad, while the fifth is in the eastern part of the town, and is accessible only by team or foot travel.

Seneca Castle, the largest of the villages, and sometimes known as Castleton, is situated in the northwest part of the town, on Flint Creek, also on the railroad extending from Stanley to Sodus Bay. The original name of the village was Castleton, and the application of the name Seneca Castle was an afterthought. As a trading center this place has some prominence, but during the last half century it can hardly be said to have increased or lessened in business interests or population. The village has two church societies, each of which has a substantial church home. Of these we may make a brief record.

The Presbyterian Church of Seneca Castle was a branch or off-shoot of the mother church at Geneva, the latter having been organized in 1798, and in connection therewith occasional services were conducted in this western part of the town, altthough it was not until 1828 that the Seneca Castle was fully organized. The early services here were held chiefly by Revs. Jedediah Chapman and Henry Axtell, the former the first, and the latter the second pastor of the church at Geneva. The Castleton (such was the name then) Church was organized February 5, 1828, with nineteen original members "inhabitants of the village of Castleton and its vicinity." On the 4th of March the trustees were chosen, and steps were at once taken to raise means with which to erect a church home. This was quickly accomplished and the house was dedicated during the latter part of July, 1829.

The pastors, in succession, of this church have been as follows: Stephen Porter, Oren Catlin, Stephen Porter (second pastorate), George C. Hyde, R. Russell (supply), B. B. Gray, Alex. Douglass (supply), A. H. Parmelee, H. H. Kellogg, James S. Moore, and Howard Cornell, the latter being the present pastor, whose service as such began in June, 1893. The church has about eighty members, and a Sunday school with about ninety pupils.

The Castleton Methodist Episcopal Chapel was the outgrowth of a series of revival meetings held by the Presbyterians of this locality during the years 1830-31. The M. E. Class and church was organized soon after this time, and in 1842 the society erected a substantial brick edifice in the village. Its membership is about eighty, and the Sundayschool has about one hundred members. The present pastor is Rev. S. F. Beardslee.

Flint Creek is a small hamlet of about twenty dwelling-houses, one store, a post-office, a combined cider mill and wood-working factory, the school of district No. 2, and a M. E. Church. The village is on the stream from which it is named, and is about midway between Seneca Castle and Stanley. A grist and saw-mill were in operation many years a few rods south of the village proper.

The M. E. Church at Flint Creek, one of three societies of this denomination in this town, is of comparatively recent origin, and is supplied in its pastoral relation from Hopewell. The present pastor in charge is Rev. Cordello Herrick.

Stanley, formerly Stanley's Corners, is second in size and greatest in business importance among the hamlets of Seneca. The village is situated near the center of School District No. 1. Here also the Northern Central railroad divides, one branch leading to the county seat and the other to Sodus Bay. During the year 1892 the long hoped for Middlesex Valley road was completed and put in operation between Stanley and Naples and during 1893 the work of construction on the same road between Stanley and Geneva is expected to be prosecuted.

Although of considerable importance among the hamlets of Seneca, Stanley is only a small place, having two good stores (Hill & Coon, and James A. Pulver), a hotel, a grain elevator, a good district school, and two churches.

St. Theresa's Roman Catholic parish was organized in 1875, and the church edifice was built in 1876. This parish is a joint station with Rushville, and includes about ninety, families. The priests in charge have been Fathers James A. Connelly, Joseph Hendrick, Joseph J. Magin, D. W. Kavanaugh, J. H. Butler, James F. Dougherty, and John P. Hopkins.

The Methodist Episcopal Church and society of Stanley are also of quite recent organization. The church and class work began many years ago, and the organization duly followed. There are now about thirty-five members, and preparations are being made for the erection of a substantial church home in the village. The services are now conducted by Rev. 0. D. Davis, as supply, he being pastor of the church at Gorham village.

Hall's Corners is a small though busy hamlet in the south part of the town, .and being in the center of a large fruit and grain region, becomes a place of much importance during the harvest and shipping season. The village proper is about forty rods from the station. The merchants are William C. Mead (also postmaster) and George 0. Rippey & Son.

Seneca.- About a mile and one-half northeast of Hail's Corners is a little settlement and post office called Seneca. It has no industries of any importance, except the nursery of W. P. Rupert, yet around the old Presbyterian church at Seneca has been built up a quiet little settlement.

This church was organized June 29, 1807, by a devoted little band of Christians, by whom it was resolved "That we form ourselves into a church, to be denominated the Associate Reformed Church of the Town of Seneca." In July following the work of organization was completed, and at the first communion service forty-five members were on the church roll. After much work the little society succeeded in raising a fund and erecting a church edifice, a plain though neat frame structure, which was used about twenty- five years, and then, in 1838 and '39, was superseded by a larger and more pretentious building, which the society still occupies. This edifice was enlarged and improved in 1862, and again in 1868.

In 1859 this church changed its ecclesiastical connection and became essentially Presbyterian in doctrine and teaching. Its present membership reaches the remarkable number of 350 persons, and within the bounds of the congregation there are maintained four Sunday-schools. The succession of pastors and supplies of this church has been as follows: James Mears, Andrew Wilson (supplies), Thomas White (first pastor), William Nesbit, John D. Gibson, Samuel Topping, George Patton, A. B. Temple. The latter, Mr. Temple, became pastor in March, 1873, and has ever since continued in that relation, a period of more than twenty years.


Marriage and Death Notices from Seneca County, New York, Newspapers, 1817-1885. By Mary S. Jackson and Edward F. Jackson, published by Heritage Books in 1997. Contains over 3,000 notices culled from 8 early Seneca County newspapers. Not on line as this book is within copyright.

Some Cemeteries of the Between the Lakes Country (portions of Seneca, Schuyler, and Tompkins Counties, N.Y.), 3 vols. Collected by Jessie Howell Finch, 1889-1968, and others compiled and edited by Carl W. Fischer, Harriet Jackson Swick. Published under the sponsorship of the Chief Taufhannock Chapter, D.A.R. in Trumansburg, N.Y. 1974. Not on line as it's within copyright.


Learn More About The Senecas

Seneca Native American Tribe An overview of the Seneca Indian tribe, their language and history.

Seneca Dictionary Short vocabulary of Seneca Indian words.

Seneca Culture and History Directory Related links about the Seneca tribe past and present.

Iroquois Confederacy Information and links about the Iroquois League.


Greenwood District + Seneca Village

Tulsa OK, Greenwood District, was the wealthiest black community in America. It was bombed in 1921. It was the first and only attack America made on its own soil. It was because the residents were black. It was because they owned their wealth. It was because black people impacted the economy.

Central Park was built on Seneca Village - a thriving post World War community in NY. Through the system of eminent domain (institutional housing discrimination) the government kicked the 240+ residents out and built what we know as Central Park. Central Park is the graveyard to a thriving economy and a community capable of circulating its own wealth and disrupting the status quo.

Greenwood Seneca pays homage to two examples of Black people's untapped capabilities. Two examples of how systemic oppression has restarted the Black community beyond the 400 years since our forced arrival. It is two examples of how despite centuries of overt and systemic abuse - the capabilities, mobility and value of this community was so big it had to be destroyed and unjustly it had to be controlled. Black Lives Matter has reignited attention to our community. There is a new focus and urgency on unpacking the wrongs and investing in making it right. We believe a revolution is coming and we want to support and engage others in the collective action to get there.


Seneca Indians

The Seneca people living in Ohio during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were related to the Seneca tribe of New York. The Seneca in New York were one of the most powerful members of the Iroquois confederacy. As the westernmost members of the Iroquois Confederacy, the Seneca were known as the "Keepers of the Western Door." The Ohio Seneca spoke the Iroquois language.

Many of these the group that became known as the Ohio Seneca left New York, hoping to find a better life in the Ohio Country. Upon arriving in Ohio, these natives had limited contact with their original tribe in New York. They formed their own political system that was quite separate from that of the main Seneca nation in New York. The Ohio Senecas also joined with the Algonquian tribes of the Ohio Country in their wars with the Iroquois. The Ohio Seneca probably included more than just Senecas from New York. The Ohio Seneca tribe also probably included members of the Seneca-Cayuga nation (historically referred to by the exonym "Mingo,") the Erie nation, the Conestoga nation, with members from several other tribes.


SOCIETY

Each town in the tribe contained several long, bark covered communal houses that had both tribal and political significance. Inside each house several families lived in semi-private rooms or areas and the center areas were used as social and political meeting places. They lived in scattered villages that were organized by a system of matrilineal clans.

A calendar cycle of ceremonies reflected their agricultural, hunting, and gathering. The men hunted, cleared fields, traded and made war. The woman gathered various wild plant foods and tended gardens. They had a great agricultural economy. Their main crop was corn, but they also grew pumpkins, beans, tobacco, maize, and squash and later on they grew orchard fruits like apples and peaches. Crafts were also made. Fine pottery, splint baskets, mats of corn husk and used wampum as a medium of exchange.


Seneca Falls in 1848

In the 1790s, the first white settlers founded Seneca Falls alongside the falls of the Seneca River, a mile-long series of rapids with a combined drop of 49 feet. Participants in the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign (1779) had recognized the potential of the area and returned. The Continental Army’s Campaign is considered by some an astounding military feat, by others a tragic devastation of the homelands of the Iroquois Confederacy or Six Nations.

By 1794 the state of New York had charted a route for the Great Western Road, a section of which crossed the Seneca River using the main street (Fall Street) through the settlement of Seneca Falls. By 1800 the Seneca Road Company was established to maintain and improve the condition of the roadway. Locally the thoroughfare became known as the Seneca Turnpike.

The Bayard Company held a monopoly on the area's abundant waterpower and controlled access to the falls of Seneca Falls. Their inflated prices prevented development of new industry until 1825. That year the company went bankrupt, and its interests were sold. The now-accessible waterpower allowed for rapid growth of mills and factories along the river banks and on islands in the riverbed. Within six years, there were five sawmills, two textile factories, five flour mills, and three tin and sheet-iron plants.

In 1821, when the Seneca Lock Navigation Company opened a canal to bypass the falls, more islands were created between the two waterways. New factories were built on these islands and the village grew and prospered. By 1828, the Cayuga-Seneca Canal was linked to the Erie Canal, making transport of raw materials and finished goods easier and opening up a much larger market for items manufactured locally. Seneca Falls had become the place the Bayard Company had once advertised: a place for “men of enterprise and capitol” that “offered profitable employment of both.” The area originally known as Mynderse Mills officially became the Village of Seneca Falls in 1831. Ansel Bascom was selected as the first President (Mayor) of the Village.

Beginning in 1841 the Rochester-Auburn railroad system opened the door to world markets for goods manufactured in Seneca Falls. Trains provided a tangible link to the outside world that was faster and more efficient than shipping goods and transporting people by barge or overland. The railroad brought a swift influx of ideas, people, and mail, and connected local markets to national ones. The local industry began to specialize in manufactured products rather than offer a variety of goods intended for the local market. By the 1840s and 50s, pumps, fire engines, and other metal goods became important products of Seneca Falls industry shipped to a world market via the railroad.

The advent of manufacturing opened new possibilities for women as well for the first time, women could work outside the home. As women started to earn money, they began to realize the extent of discrimination they faced. Married women had to give up their wages to their husbands and were unable to execute contracts or buy property. Women were paid less than their male coworkers. As they could not vote, they were taxed without representation. These economic realities led people to think about the issues that would be raised at the Seneca Falls Convention.

Social and religious upheavals during this period were considerable. Reform movements, such as temperance and abolition, had broad support in the region by 1848, but there was also considerable opposition. The area later became known as “The Burned-Over District,” because of the popularity of religious revivals and new religious sects that “spread like wildfire.” Many utopian communities shared a faith in perfectibility of people and society and were open to and experimented with new forms of social and religious organization.

Seneca Falls was a thriving and prosperous community, rich in waterpower resources and surrounded by fertile farmland. Its inhabitants could be optimists about the future and were undoubtedly affected by demands for social reform and religious and utopian ideas about people and society. Many local citizens formed and participated in antislavery societies and temperance leagues, ran stations on the Underground Railroad they were willing to listen to and participate in a discussion about changing the public roles of women in society. These factors led nearly 300 people to respond to the call for a women’s rights convention.

Religious and political reformers, especially the Free Soil Party members, were important participants in the Seneca Falls Convention. In 1848, a presidential election year, both major party candidates favored extending slavery from the South into the western territories. The Free Soil Party was formed in response to this. The Free Soilers would only support a candidate who opposed the extension of slavery. Local abolitionists created a Free Soil chapter in a meeting in the Wesleyan Chapel on June 13, 1848. Many of these abolitionists returned to the Chapel for the Women’s Rights Convention in July. These reformers recognized the similarities between the status of black men and that of women in society.

Quakers were another important group at the Convention. In June 1848, the local Genesee Yearly Meeting of Friends had split over issues of church governance. Those who broke away – the Progressive or Congregational Friends – believed that all persons were equal and should not be subject to the control of a hierarchy of ministers and elders. They based their religious organization on a commitment to social reform work. They came to the Convention to demonstrate their commitment to radical equality.

The 1848 Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention occurred in an atmosphere of idealistic reform. This was the first meeting to be held for the purpose of discussing the “social, civil, and religious conditions and the rights of woman.” It was the beginning of the women’s rights movement in the United States.



Comentarios:

  1. Demario

    ¿Qué surge de esto?

  2. Malamuro

    No puedo participar ahora en discusión, está muy ocupado. Seré libre, necesariamente escribiré que creo.

  3. Tristram

    Perdón por interferir... Pero este tema es muy cercano a mí. Puedo ayudar con la respuesta.

  4. Radeliffe

    Que palabras... la fenomenal, genial idea

  5. Yavu

    Felicidades muy buena idea

  6. Marybell

    Bravo, son simplemente un pensamiento magnífico

  7. Daithi

    Un mensaje muy divertido.

  8. Cormick

    Felicitaciones, este pensamiento será útil.



Escribe un mensaje

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos